One of the characteristics of the Chinese that I’m most proud of is their sense of friendship. There is a special sense of friendship that exists within Chinese culture. If you’re a friend to a Chinese, he or she will bend over backwards to make your life better. This characteristic is heavily ingrained in Chinese culture. The sense of love for friendship over the past generations has developed and fully blossomed as the definitive characteristic of the Chinese people. While I was in Taiwan I experienced a strong sense of friendship like non other that I have had here in the states. I have friendships that I’ve developed in Taiwan that I know would always be there even if no communication takes place. Two summers ago I had a chance to sped time with my childhood friends. Though we had not seen each other for 11 years we were able to reestablish our friendship and once again find the love that we’ve had towards each other in the past. People from different cultures would say that that Chinese are hard to truly befriend and develop a deep sense of friendship with; I believe that is only partially true. I agree with the statement that the Chinese is hard to befriend. A Chinese person is only hard to befriend because the Chinese people doe not thrive on skin-deep relationships, anything short of complete devotion would be fake, and worthless. When the friendship basis is there the Chinese people would bend over backwards for their friends, I have seen that and experienced it in the past.
[posted for Jon by CH]